You must be saying to yourself how to defrag my computer in order to make it faster? How does defragmenting my computer speed it up? Look no further, in this tutorial I will tell you what it is, explain the technology behind it and show you how to defrag your hard drive to improve performance.
Note: I will be using defragmenting hard drive, disk defragmenter and defragmenting computer interchangeably.
Read also: Computer Slow on Startup in Windows 7 Fix
What is Disk Defragmention?
According to Microsoft, disk defragmentation is the process of consolidating fragmented data on a volume (such as a hard disk or a storage device) so it will work more efficiently.
The Technology Behind Disk Defragmenting
Fragmentation occurs on your hard drive over time when you save, edit or delete files. When you install an application/software, these files are scattered all over on the hard drive that causes the read/write head to search for every bits and pieces before the application can be opened on your screen.
That is the reason behind almost every slow computers. Likewise, when you are saving a file for example in Microsoft Word, these save files are scattered on the hard drive causing it to take long to open when you double click on them. When these files are taking very long to open, that is the time you got to consider how to defrag my computer to make it faster. Over time, both the file and the hard drive itself become fragmented, and your computer slows down as it has to look in different places to open a single file.
How to Defrag My Computer?
As you can see, defraging your hard drive can really and truly speed up your computer. Right now you must be wondering how to defrag my computer. Don’t worry folks, just follow these simple steps and you will be on your way to a faster computer.
For Windows 7 users:
- Press the Windows button on the bottom left. Some people call it Start.
- Click All Programs.
- Click the Accessories folder.
- Click the System Tools folder.
- Click Disk Defragmenter in the list.
- When the Disk Defragmenter window pops up, click Analyze Disk and wait until it finishes.
- Last but not least, click Defragment Disk and wait till that finishes as well. It might take minutes to an hour depending on the size of your hard drive. Don’t worry about the length of time it takes, trust me it’s worth the wait.
Simply press the Windows button, type defrag and click Disk Defragmenter.
For Windows 10 users:
- Press the Windows button.
- Click All apps.
- Scroll down until you see a folder name Windows Administrative Tool and click the drop down box.
- Click Defragment and Optimize Drives to open the Disk Defragmenter.
- Click Analyze (if available), then Optimize and wait for it to finish.
Simply type Defrag in the search bar to locate it easier.
That’s it guys! That is how I defrag my computer. Disk defragmention is the process of consolidating fragmented data on a volume so it will work more efficiently. Over time, both the file and the hard drive itself become fragmented, and your computer slows down as it has to look in different places to open a single file.
I hope you like my article on how to defrag my computer to make it faster. If you have anything to say please share with us by commenting below. Also, if you like my article, you can subscribe to my blog and my YouTube channel and like my Facebook page.